Creative People - Profile 5: Bola Yinka-Obebe

Welcome back to a new edition of the series: Creative People, a series designed to showcase the creative stuff people are doing all over our country and indeed the world, irrespective of their occupations, previous training, schooling or orientation. Today we have a very special person whose handiwork is inspiring people everywhere. I for one was blown away when I stumbled across her Facebook profile and pictures.

I am sure you will be inspired by the few words she had to share with us on who she is, what she does and what helps her be who she is, a creative person. Read on...

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am the fashion designer for Marayah O, a fashion and lifestyle brand whose immediate focus is on creating female ready-to-wear clothing 



 That is so cool. Did you start it up? 

Yes I started March 2010.

And how has it been? What milestones have you crossed in getting to where you are today?

It hasn’t been a bed of roses, but it's been worth it. I have been a part of a couple of exhibitions within Lagos. Got out my first official look book, that got great publicity on print magazines and online as well. The designs have graced the pages of a lot of fashion magazines like Mania, Complete Fashion, Sleek Weekly, Y!Naija to mention a few. It has been interesting I must say, but it hasn't been easy. 




Would you say having a creative professional as a husband (click here) has helped a bit? 

Well yes in a lot of ways. He has a better understanding of the way things are because he is creative. It enables him to be a better support. I am indeed blessed to have a very supportive and creative husband, who challenges me to be more all the time.

His work is really impressive. OK, here is a big question: if no one appreciated your work, would you still do it passionately? 

No one?...I'd have still done it for me. But then one thing I have come to realize is, I ain't called to everyone. I understand my target audience, and I really am not looking to appeal to EVERYONE in the real sense of it. 



Hmm, true words. So when you look at the year 2016, what do you envision? 

A fully integrated brand. Marayah O read- to-wear line, couture, accessories, beauty products, fragrance...in terms of fashion products. For lifestyle, we will be doing shows, events, food, personal effects etc.

Ok cool. Any more?

Well, let's not let too much outta the bag yet 



Haha. OK. Wise choice. So what words would you say to someone out there who believes he or she has something creative to express to the world, but doesn't know how to go about it?

You don't need to know how. Things will just fall into place as you go. Just do it!

Simple and to the point. Just do it!. Thanks Bola for sharing.

So there you go. Have something inside you begging to be expressed? Just go out and do it! Don't wait to be approved or appreciated. Let your passion drive you forward. Like Bola, surround yourself with creative people. (Marry them if possible! lol) 

Whatever it takes, give expression to the creative person inside you. You can make it. I believe in you.

I invite you to share this post with all your friends on Facebook and Blackberry. Someone out there needs the inspiration. Thanks for dropping by.

Stay tuned for more...

Comments