Creative People - Profile 2: Ireti Adebayo Oladapo

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt- Sylvia Plath . "


Today we continue our series on creative people, who are pursing their passions and dreams. Our guest on this post is Ireti, someone who has inspired me in the short time that I have known her, mainly by her commitment to doing what she is passionate about, something that I think we all should learn from. I will waste no time with preambles so you can get inspired by her story.



Tell us a little about yourself?
I am Ireti Adebayo Oladapo. I am a daughter, wife, mother and student to sum it all up.

What occupies your time between sunrise and sunset?
Family first, then I do a lot of reading and writing as well

Reading and writing…Creative writing? Or assignments (lol)
Both. I try to find time aside studying, to do my own writings.

What kind of writing do you do? Poetry? Fiction?
I write poetry, plays and fiction, but narratives are my strongest point. I would rather spend days writing fiction than an hour of poetry. I also prefer to read and write short stories, rather than long works of fiction. That is because short stories are easier to read at a sitting. In a collection of short stories, a reader can decide on a flexible approach, and start from the middle, or the end. But in a long work of fiction, the normal procedure has to be followed.



What are you studying right now?
Creative writing. A masters degree. I had my Bsc. in Accounting in Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria

Hmmm…Interesting. Why the diversion?
I've been a friend of the pen and paper for as long as I can remember. When I was in primary school, my mother would drop my siblings and I off at the library on holidays and Saturdays. She would pick us up in the evenings. We read almost all the books and novels at the children's section.
I think my romance with reading and writing originated from that phase of my life. I studied Bsc Accounting but I couldn’t help feeling I was not in the right profession. However, I kept at it. I am a very restless girl and when I started working in Seed Media, Lagos after my youth service, it was a big deal, sitting by a large office table filled with books, frolicking with boring numbers. So I decided to pursue my passion – writing, and add a professional flavor to it.

So what have you written so far? Have you written any books?

I am almost done with my first book, which is a collection of short stories. They are all set in Nigeria. It is my way of telling our stories to the world. Our culture, our triumphs, our fears, our tears, our pride, those things that make us proudly Nigerians.

And how do your stories usually end? Tragedy? Comedy? Optimism? Hope?

I’ll say I write more of optimism and hope. A re-affirmation of a do-able tomorrow. Breaking forth through the barriers that are seemingly encompassing in everyday living

Hmm. Cool. Now tell us, why do you write? This is a deep question. Sort of like asking you: What is your personal mission statement, your passion, your inspiration, your drive?

Well I can’t say I have only one reason for writing. It is more like a salad of reasons. I write because that is the best way I can express myself. I write because in centuries to come, I will be gone but my writings will remain. I write to answer pertinent questions in life – who and what are we? I write to find peace with whatever I am passing through, like a sort of therapy. And sometimes, I write when I am bored – just for the fun of it.

This is all so nice. Personally I think it is important for creative people to showcase their work and not hide it somewhere, like it is something to be ashamed of. So how do you showcase your writings? Any blogs, websites or publications?

Yeah I write for two magazines and I also feature regularly on a ladies website. I write for In His Steps magazine. Their website is www.inhisteps.8m.com, and I am an Editorial Assistant at Naijastories.com.
You can also find a few of my works on clayladies.wordpress.com, and I'm a columnist on Bridals and Events Watch a maiden bridals magazine to debut in October.


Any other things we should know about you Ireti?

I act movies as well, and there's a new release which I featured in - 'Never Happened' currently showing on Africa Magic and Movie Magic stations.

Wow!. Interesting. How did you get into movies then?
My Mom is a memeber of ANCEDRAM (All Nigerian Christian Drama Ministries), which the likes of popular christian drama groups like Mount Zion and EVOM are part of. I followed her for meetings. On one of the days, I was auditioned for the role of Folake in 'Never Happened'. The director was impressed with my performance and they decided to give me the role.

That is really cool. I will be looking forward to seeing you on the big screen and reading your books. Before we are through, we would like a peek at one of your write ups. Any one you'd like to share?

Here is a short piece I wrote when I heard I was going to have a baby girl. 
EUPHORIA
                                    Ribbons and Barbie doodles,
                                                                        Coo’s and cuddles
                               Pink roses and fairy wands.
                       Thoughts of you
                 A soothing relief
       Like chilled soda
         And a pack of nuts,
                     to a farmer
                               On a sunny day.
  Girl’s Saturday nights’ out,
                        Makeover and secret wishes,
        Lipsticks on thin lips,
                          Looking forward to holding you
             Loving you all there is.
             It’s a girl so says the scan.
                                I’m shouting!!! Baby is a girl



Impressive. But I believe we haven't seen the best of you yet. Like I always believe, the best is yet to come.


So there it is. What inspires you about Ireti? What talent do you have that is struggling to find expression? How important do you think it is to give your passions and creative talents expression? Feel free to comment on this post and answer the questions.

Remain Inspired.

Comments

  1. Chinaemerem Joshua IbezimThursday, August 11, 2011

    Wow! This is nice. What inspires me about Ireti is her determination to do what she truly loves. She's not content just having a talent, I like the fact that she has gone on to develop her potentials. I can't wait to see Never Happened! And I can't wait to read Ireti's books! Well done Ireti, may God crown all your efforts with good success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaooo! Gud stuff... I'm proud of ds young woman & mother bringing her dreams & luv 2 reality! I particularly luv d poem u wrote 4 ur babygurl....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you sis... Good to see you doing the things you love to do and I must say you are doing it real good. See you at the top... mwah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff sis.....way to go! Love ya :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weldone sis! Lovely and unusual piece! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! I'm so impressed with dis. Just getting to know dat u studied accounting like I did. I love writing as well since school days but don't like reading...dats y I dint pursue it. I'm trilled with my namesake's passion at dis...love d poem for her baby...hoping to write one for mine too soon..
    Like I av told u b4 sake, I'm here if u need anything with your writings. Love u sooooo much
    Cheers.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Ireti. Big up to u. Wonder how u do juggle it wiv being a wife,mother,daughter, n Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§ of course one of d Golden Sisters. Kudos to u gurl. Pray that God wld someday crown ur efforts wiv a Noble Laurette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toluwabori of cutemomsThursday, August 11, 2011

    oh Ireti omo daddy like me.omo Dapo like me and a writerlike me. good ,glad and happy to know you are a writer and poet.These things are natural gift from God too but i still went ahead to study more in the university.I am also an actress but more of a cheoroegrapher.What am i saying in a nut shell.oh i use to love you but now i love you more.pls,pls,pls keep the fire burning and may your ink and wisdom never run dry.Toluwabori of CUTEMOMS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff... at least you have more courage than i do. keep it up mam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olamide... My sis is a wonderful writer, she's talented and i can boldly say everyone that reads her story will be great inspired really, she's gifted. Am so proud of what she has become and i know u will make it in the nearest future BGG. Love you to bits and pieces. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. thumbs up to you sis. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ireti,this is really great.may u move from Glory to Glory.there are some old friends u come across in life again and u won't want to mingle or communicate with them fro some reasons,while there are some u will come across and will be so proud of them. Ireti am not only proud of u,indirectly u ve affected me & sure some people positively. What ve read is just an "in thing" keep it up,sky isn't your limit. Go ireti! Go omo daddy!! Go mummy imisioluwa !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oremi the sky is your starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My baby, I have seen this talent in you right from cradle and I tried to encourage you. Happy you finally decided to follow your passion. You are surely going places in Jesus name. Love you.

    Mummy K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. go girl u are unstoppable."wink"

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's my lovechild,she amazes me all the time.Keep up the goodworks girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Follow your passion, excellence will come chasing you 'pants down'... (culled from the movie 3 idiots). Way to go luv... the sky is your starting point.. luv ya

    Lolade

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great stuff!!! Ireti'l definitely make us all proud...God bless you dear. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic poem for my babygirl. Keep it up girlfriend! Glad to see you pursuing your passion

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woooow! Didn't know you act! Nice. Keep following passion. Only few understand why I turned down the banking job

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for the comments...keep following. Ireti, keep inspiring us

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ireti,welldone you are a wonderful writer.These is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gbolakade OmisakinThursday, August 11, 2011

    I like d fact that u not only have d talent, but u have d gut to pursue it. That is admirable. Keep up d good work...May d Lord crown ur efforts !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the fact that while u r still young n vibrant, u r pursuing who u r all about.
    One of your gift is
    ur mouth, its a man's gift that will make
    Room for them n make them stand before kings.
    Do not depart from what makes you YOU.
    You know already that u r a rare gem, so be the best at it.
    Keep shooting higher.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  25. Waoh! As the first astronaut on the moon said 'a little step for a man, a giant step for mankind' thus I prophesy: ' go in this might of yours and do exploits!'


    - Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its amazing how much we do not appreciate the people that are close to us because the familiarity sometimes beclouds the beauty. My luvly lil' sis, you have so much in you and i am appreciating God's gift in you more and more everyday. I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. You are a celebrity (remember mum always said that). Well done Mama Imisi. You are simply the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thats my darling... you go girl! am proud of u. keep up the good works and your lines shall continue to fall in pleasant places. Amen.

    oyinda oyinloye.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! where should i start from, is it from you being a naughty junior student in FGC ilorin or being my loving neigbour or is it the over fence talk? no more chrismas fried rice with chicken and turkey? i miss you so much my dearest friend, you were simply the best and will continue to be. wishing you all the best in all your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awwwww awesome stuff!!! Its amazing seeing you purse your passion- so loving you & Ireti I must say I admire your gut as a lover of pen & paper. You are going places BGG - Amen. Big up to you,dearie. Mo of Cute Momz

    ReplyDelete
  30. awesome! my sister and protegee! gifted is the least way to qualify her! keep it up sis!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a case of going all out for what your heart desires, not necessarily what others do. You've got it in you Babbie, go all out, catch-up, overtake and take over. This world of creativity is yours. Smile and I love you more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ireti, you definitely are an awesome writer. You will soon be taking this world by storm, by God's grace. Greater grace in Jesus' name and we all eagerly await the release of your books

    ReplyDelete
  33. Inspiring story, ambition coupled with determination always birth outstanding outcomes and results.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Buzuzu: thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment